Monday, December 16, 2013

Sports Day



Dear Mom and Dad, 

      A little while ago, my middle schoolers had their sports day.  There were no classes all day that Tuesday, so it was a good thing my first set of classes had a movie day, the day before.  I don’t like having my classes on different lessons.  When we meet only once a week, its next to impossible to get them back on the same schedule.  Especially, since my Tuesday classes seem to miss the most.

     Well, the kids were ready early that morning, and it was quite a spectacle.  They were excited to have that ‘free’ day although none of them would admit it, of course.  Technically it wasn’t really a free day.  It was a bit like the Presidential fitness test back home.  They were being tested on certain fitness aspects, but the rest of the time it was treated as a sports day.  A lot of the contests were treated as a class event, meaning that the entire class participated, and then were scored based on ranking.  They did win some kind of classroom prize at the end of the day.

     Let’s see, what did they do?  There was the class-wide rope pulling contests. There was the  100 meter dash, the 600 meter relay (boys, girls, and boys and girls). There were the three legged races, three-legged relays, jump roping, chin-ups.  Class dodge ball and badminton.  Each grade competed with their grade level, and each class had a ‘costume’ of sorts.  Just check some of the pictures.  There were ‘police officers’ ‘buggy clowns’ stars, polka dots, camo jackets etc.  It was a fun day. 

      I spent the morning outside watching them.  The kids were surprised to see me watching them and some got a little shy to know that I was watching, but they were giggling anyway.  The afternoon, I had some work to do in my office, so I spent about an hour or so upstairs, then came down for the final part of the day.  I thought it was fun!  When I asked the next week, the kids complained that they were sore the next day.  “It’s not fun, teacher!”  I think they were fibbing a bit.  Just check out the pictures!

Later!








No comments:

Post a Comment